Shu'fat Refugee Camp has been experiencing squalid conditions including a lack of playing spaces, nonexistent social, cultural or sporting activities for children, and overpopulation. To tackle these conditions, a group of social activists from the camp established this centre in 2000 in order to meet the needs of the children, raise their national and political awareness, and prepare them to take part in the struggle for return and liberation.
Moral and national consciousness, building children's capacities, and professionalism.
The children of Shu'fat Refugee Camp are creative, possess leadership qualities, and are aware of their Palestinian identity.
The Centre strives to raise awareness and improve education through extracurricular activities that help children and abolish social ills.
- Establishing cultural groups in order to raise awareness of Palestinian culture.
- Establishing musical and theatre bands and groups committed to the Palestinian national struggle.
- Fostering a sense of unity and togetherness and founding Palestinian folk dance groups.
- Conducting training and workshops for children that prepare them to fight social ills.
- Organising trips and tours for children to ethnically cleansed Palestinian villages to ensure their commitment to the right of return.
- Conducting training in photography to help children document the situation of ethnically cleansed Palestinian towns.
The centre welcomes volunteers with experience in fundraising and developing projects. Fluent Arabic and English are required.
- Outfits for the dabkeh group.
- Equipment for the musical studio.
- Musical instruments.
- Equipment for the theatre.
- Training for children in dabkeh, music, theatre, and photography.
- Workshops for children on Jerusalem and the Palestinian cause.
- Playing field for children inside the camp.
- The dabkeh – folk dance – group was established in 2005.
- The theatre band was established in 2012.
- A rap group was founded in 2003.
- A photography group was established in 2010.
- A coral group was founded in 2013.
- A musical studio was founded in 2013.